The Composers Workshop
About The Composer Workshop
Cascade Composing is a composition program headed by internationally acclaimed composer, and Dean of the Music School at Julliard, David Serkin Ludwig. The 2023 composer's workshop is open to six outstanding composers that will be chosen by Ludwig and the Cascade team. These composers will have the opportunity to work with David virtually in the weeks leading up to the Cascade Conducting Masterclass, as well as during the Masterclass itself, and will compose a work to be played by the Cascade Composers Sinfonietta in a public reading during the 2023 Workshop, conducted by participants of the 6th Annual Cascade Conducting Masterclass.
These works will also be eligible to be chosen as repertoire for the 2024 Cascade Conducting Masterclass, and performed by the Cascade Conducting Orchestra at the 7th Annual Cascade Conducting Masterclass final concert in 2024.
Other opportunities include:
• Orchestral reading and recording with the Cascade Composers Sinfonietta
• Lessons and daily composition seminars with David Ludwig, world-renowned composer and Dean of Music at The Juilliard School
• Master class with distinguished guest composer Gabriella Smith
• Auditing of orchestral and choral conducting seminars
• Daily classes with guest speakers from the orchestral field
• Attendance at Cascade Conducting rehearsals with Sarah Ioannides and Geoffrey Boers
Reduced rate room and board will be offered by Pacific Lutheran University.
Watch Cascade Conductors from the 4th Annual Masterclass lead a Symphony Tacoma Chamber Orchestra in performances of Cascade Composers' original works: "The Final Conquest."